Bearettes Take Down Bearden In Low Scoring Affair

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — The Bradley Central Bearettes held on and defeated Bearden, 36-26, in a low scoring affair on Thursday evening at Farragut High School.

Anna Walker led all players with a double-double of 21 points and 12 rebounds. Anna Muhonen was the next leading scorer with six points to go with five rebounds and a pair of blocks. 

Bradley (7-2) never trailed as they hit the first basket of the game with a fastbreak layup by Walker off a Jamaryn Blair assist 20 seconds in. The two teams went back-and-forth until the Bearettes went on an, 8-0, run sparked by a Muhonen bucket and capped off by a Walker 3-pointer to stretch the lead to double digits before ending the quarter up nine.

Bradley Central scored the first five points in the second frame with a Walker 3 and a Blair jumper to jump out to their largest lead of the night up 14. After cutting the lead back to 12 Bearden (11-1) answered with an, 8-1, run to end the quarter and trim the lead to 23-18 at the half.

The Bulldogs continued keeping the lead but the Bearettes outscored them, 7-5, in the third quarter and have a 30-23 advantage heading into the fourth.

In the fourth, Bradley began playing stall ball after Bearden cut the lead to five with 5:44 to go. Over a minute later Walker put in a layup off a Kelsey Carman pass and the Bulldogs could not find a way to score to answer. After forcing Bearden to foul the Bearettes were 4-for-4 in the final 30 seconds of the game to hold on for the, 36-26, win.

Jamia Williams, Blair, and Walker all had two assists each to lead the Bearettes. Williams and Blair had two steals each to pace the defense and Alexis Barnes recorded a pair of blocks to match Muhonen.

Avery Treadwell led the Bulldogs with 10 rebounds and was a point away from completing the double-double. Jakhyia Davis had eight points and nine rebounds while leading Bearden with three steals.

The Bulldogs struggled shooting going 11-for-45 (24.4 percent) from the floor and could not hit a 3-pointer going 0-for-9 from distance. Bearden went 4-of-7 (57.1 percent) from the free-throw line.

The Bearettes faired a little better shooting 13-of-39 (33.3 percent) overall and 3-of-12 (25 percent) from 3-point range. Bradley was 7-for-12 (58.3 percent) from the charity stripe.

The Bearettes took advantage of their speed outscoring their opponents 12-2 in fast break scoring. Bradley also outscored Bearden in points off turnovers (7-2), and in the paint (20-18).

Bradley Central will wrap up the Five Star Preps Classic as they take on host Farragut at 6 p.m.

For all of the latest news and information be sure to follow the Bearettes on Twitter @BC_Bearettes and join us on the web at bradleybearettes.com

GAME SUMMARY

Bradley Central vs Bearden

12/19/19 4:30 PM EST at Knoxville, Tenn.

At Knoxville, Tenn.

BRADLEY CENTRAL 36, BEARDEN 26

BRADLEY CENTRAL (7-2)

Walker, Anna 8-16 3-4 21; Muhonen, Anna 3-8 0-0 6; Blair, Jamaryn 1-10 2-5

4; Mayo, Cambree 1-4 0-0 3; Williams, Jamia 0-1 2-3 2; Barnes, Alexis 0-0

0-0 0; Carman, Kelsey 0-0 0-0 0; Crittenden, Ashlan 0-0 0-0 0. Totals 13-39

7-12 36.

BEARDEN (11-1)

Treadwell, Avery 4-7 1-2 9; Davis, Jakhyia 3-11 2-2 8; McLaughlin, Zneyah

2-10 0-0 4; Bussell, Jah’niya 1-7 1-3 3; Gonzalez, Emily 1-5 0-0 2; Stone,

Emma 0-5 0-0 0; Brillhart, Maddie 0-0 0-0 0. Totals 11-45 4-7 26.

Bradley Central……………   15 8 7 6 – 36

Bearden…………………..    6 12 5 3 – 26

3-point goals–Bradley Central 3-12 (Walker, Anna 2-5; Mayo, Cambree 1-4;

Blair, Jamaryn 0-3), Bearden 0-9 (; McLaughlin, Zneyah 0-1; Gonzalez, Emily

0-3; Stone, Emma 0-5). Fouled out–Bradley Central-None, Bearden-Gonzalez,

Emily. Rebounds–Bradley Central 27 (Walker, Anna 12), Bearden 37

(Treadwell, Avery 10). Assists–Bradley Central 9 (Williams, Jamia 2;

Walker, Anna 2; Blair, Jamaryn 2), Bearden 6 (Bussell, Jah’niya 2; Gonzalez,

Emily 2). Total fouls–Bradley Central 7, Bearden 13. Technical

fouls–Bradley Central-None, Bearden-None.

2019 Five Star Preps Classic